But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit—the Father will send Him in My name—will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you. Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Your heart must not be troubled or fearful. (Jn. 14:26-27 HCSB).
I discovered this promise in John 14 one morning, as I began to work on a book project.
I often wonder why I even bother with book proposals. I’ve faced a few rejections in the past. And I’ve been unable to follow through on several book projects because of a myriad of reasons. Yet I can’t seem to let go of the desire to share the spiritual lessons I’ve learned as I applied the principles and promises of God to my life.
Peace. For awhile now, I’ve been praying about how to find spiritual rest and peace. And I’ve struggled with the thought of compiling the lessons I’ve learned to help others in their struggle with fear—especially with worry, anxiety, and depression.
I’ve often voiced a question to God, as I’ve wrestled with my own doubts and fears concerning direction for my next book proposal: How can I write a book about finding spiritual rest, when I’m still one of the most anxious people I know?
Promises. So, as I go forward with my next writing project, I’m choosing to seek God first in the writing process and hold on to His promises along the way. And I’m reminded of these fiive promises today.
- Jesus is the perfect author role model. The Bible encourages us to keep our eyes on “Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Heb. 12:2 NKJV).
- Jesus promises to complete the work that He has begun in us. “… being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion …” (Phil. 4:6 NLT).
- God’s Word promises that our heavenly Father will send His Holy Spirit, our Counselor, to teach us everything we need to know. “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit—the Father will send Him in My name—will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you.” (Jn. 14:26 HCSB).
- Jesus promised that His Holy Spirit would remind us of everything that the He has taught us. “The Friend, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send at my request, will make everything plain to you. He will remind you of all the things I have told you” (Jn. 14:26 MSG).
- Christ also promises to give us the strength we need. “For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength” (Phil. 4:13 NLT).
Prayer. This is my prayer for you today.
I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit … And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully … (Eph. 3:16-19 NLT).
Thank you for joining us here in the StoryWriting Studio, as we share bits and pieces of our writing life with you. We welcome you, and we hope you will share your stories and comments with us.
What promises from scripture have meant the most to you? Be sure to leave your comments below.